Opera

La Scala general manager Dominique Meyer poses at the end of a press conference to present the fall 2020 program of concerts and ballets, in Milan, Italy, Monday, July 27, 2020. The presentation marks the reopening of one of the world’s most renown theaters following the coronavirus lockdown as well as support of artists who were left without work during the shutdowns.(AP Photo/Antonio Calanni)
July 27, 2020 - 9:25 am
MILAN (AP) — The famed La Scala opera house on Monday announced a fall program of concerts and ballets aimed as a signal of confidence that European cultural life can resume in full following the coronavirus lockdowns, and in support of artists who were left out of work during the shutdowns. La...
Read More
June 16, 2020 - 4:26 pm
CHICAGO (AP) — The Lyric Opera of Chicago and San Francisco Opera have canceled the fall portions of their 2020-21 seasons due to the new coronavirus. The Lyric Opera eliminated four of its 10 productions and delayed opening night from Sept. 17 to Jan. 16. San Francisco canceled five of seven...
Read More
FILE - In this Jan. 1, 2018 file photo, Italian Maestro Riccardo Muti conducts the Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra during the traditional New Year's concert at the golden hall of Vienna's Musikverein, Austria. Riccardo Muti will conduct a youth orchestra in an open-air concert launching the annual Ravenna Festival next month in what organizers billed Friday May 22, 2020, as Italy’s first live classical music performance since its strict lockdown to stop the spread of coronavirus. (AP Photo/Ronald Zak, File)
May 22, 2020 - 5:50 am
SOAVE, Italy (AP) — Riccardo Muti will conduct a youth orchestra in an open-air concert launching the annual Ravenna Festival next month in what organizers billed Friday as Italy’s first live classical music performance since its strict lockdown to stop the spread of coronavirus. The Italian...
Read More
FILE - In this Dec. 5, 2011 file photo, Yannick Nezet-Seguin, the music director for The Philadelphia Orchestra, poses for a portrait in Philadelphia. Nézet-Séguin’s income from the Metropolitan Opera in his first season as music director was about a quarter of what James Levine earned in his last full season as music director emeritus. His compensation in the 2018-19 fiscal year was $392,152, according to the company’s tax return released Friday. (AP Photo/Alex Brandon, File)
May 15, 2020 - 7:40 pm
NEW YORK (AP) — Yannick Nézet-Séguin’s earned $392,152 during his first portion of his first season as the Metropolitan Opera's music director, about a quarter of what James Levine earned in his last full season as music director emeritus. Nézet-Séguin’s compensation in the 2018-19 fiscal year...
Read More
FILE - This Jan. 3, 1984 file photo shows John Macurdy as Radames after a performance of Giuseppe Verdi's "Aida" in New York. Macurdy, a bass who sang 1,001 performances at the Metropolitan Opera over four decades and created roles in several world premieres, died on May 7, 2020 in Stamford, Connecticut. He was 91. (AP Photo/Richard Drew, File)
May 13, 2020 - 4:46 pm
NEW YORK (AP) — John Macurdy, a bass who sang 1,001 performances at the Metropolitan Opera over four decades and created characters in notable world premieres, has died at 91, his wife said Wednesday. Macurdy died of natural causes on May 7 in Stamford, Connecticut, Justine Macurdy said. His career...
Read More
FILE - This Oct. 26, 1959 file photo shows American mezzo-soprano Rosalind Elias arriving at the Metropolitan Opera House in New York to attend a performance of Verdi's "Il Trovatore." Elias, who created roles in a pair of Samuel Barber world premieres and made her Broadway debut at age 81, died Sunday May 3, 2020. She was 90. (AP Photo/Ray Howard, File)
May 05, 2020 - 3:51 pm
NEW YORK (AP) — Rosalind Elias, an American mezzo-soprano who created roles in a pair of Samuel Barber world premieres and made her Broadway debut at 81, has died. She was 90. Elias had been slowed by congestive heart failure for the past six months, according to her manager, Robert Lombardo, but...
Read More
In a photo provided by the Metropolitan Opera, members of the Metropolitan Opera Orchestra and chorus performing from homes for the company’s At-Home gala, which was transmitted Saturday, April 25, 2020. Music director Yannick Nézet-Séguini in Mointreal is in the fourth row from top, sixth from left. (Metropolitan Opera via AP)
April 26, 2020 - 5:06 pm
NEW YORK (AP) — Javier Camarena was at his home in Zurich singing an aria from Bellini’s “Il Pirata” when the screen for the video feed split, and he was joined by Metropolitan Opera music director Yannick Nézet-Séguin in Montreal and general manager Peter Gelb in New York. “Just a second,” the...
Read More
FILE - In this Aug. 3, 2007 file photo, the Carnegie Hall building at 57th St. and Broadway appears in New York. Carnegie Hall is projecting a $9 million operating deficit on its $104 million budget after canceling the rest of its season because of the coronavirus pandemic and anticipates making changes to its schedule for 2020-21. (AP Photo/Bebeto Matthews)
April 02, 2020 - 6:15 pm
Carnegie Hall is projecting a $9 million operating deficit on its $104 million budget after canceling the rest of its season because of the coronavirus pandemic and anticipates making changes to its schedule for 2020-21. “We’ve obviously sold a lot of tickets for next season, but there’ll be issues...
Read More
FILE - In this July 12, 2019 file photo, opera singer Placido Domingo speaks during a news conference about an upcoming show in Madrid, Spain. On Friday, March 20, 2020, the American Guild of Musical Artists said Domingo has resigned from the U.S. union that represents opera singers, after two investigations found sexual harassment allegations against him to be credible. The guild said he will also contribute $500,000 to sexual harassment eradication programs and a fund that helps opera employees in crisis. (AP Photo/Bernat Armangue, File)
March 30, 2020 - 11:24 pm
MEXICO CITY (AP) — Tenor Placido Domingo said Monday he is resting at home after catching the new coronavirus. Domingo said in a statement that he is "at home and I feel fine." The 79-year-old was reportedly hospitalized in Mexico after publicly acknowledging on March 22 that he had tested positive...
Read More
FILE - In this Dec. 4, 2016 file photo, Kim Taylor, left, and her husband James Taylor appear at the 39th Annual Kennedy Center Honors in Washington, D.C. The couple have donated $1 million to Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston to help with its battle against the spread of the new coronavirus. The gift, announced Tuesday, March 24, 2020, will help the hospital direct resources where the need is greatest, the hospital said in a statement. (Photo by Owen Sweeney/Invision/AP, File)
March 25, 2020 - 5:04 pm
From finding ways to help others cope to sheltering in place to canceling events, here’s a look at some of the ways the entertainment industry is reacting to the spread of the coronavirus, which most people recover from but can cause severe illness in the elderly and those with preexisting medical...
Read More

Pages