Military and defense

September 29, 2020 - 3:18 pm
WASHINGTON (AP) — House Intelligence Committee Chairman Adam Schiff said Tuesday he will subpoena the Department of Homeland Security after a department whistleblower wasn’t allowed access to documents and clearance he needs to testify. Brian Murphy said in a whistleblower complaint earlier this...
Read More
From the left, Paris mayor Anne Hidalgo, anti-terrorism state prosecutor Jean-Francois Ricard , and Interior Minister Gerald Darmanin answer reporters after a knife attack near the former offices of satirical newspaper Charlie Hebdo, Friday Sept. 25, 2020 in Paris. French terrorism authorities are investigating a stabbing of two people outside the former offices of the satirical newspaper Charlie Hebdo in Paris, and two suspects have been arrested, authorities said. (AP Photo/Lewis Joly)
September 29, 2020 - 11:04 am
PARIS (AP) — The chief suspect in a double stabbing in Paris told investigators he acted out of anger over caricatures of the Prophet Muhammad recently republished by the satirical French newspaper Charlie Hebdo, France's counterterrorism prosecutor said Tuesday. Two people were seriously wounded...
Read More
US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, right, and Greek Prime Minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis pose during their visit at the Naval Support Activity base at Souda, on the Greek island of Crete, Tuesday, Sept. 29, 2020. Pompeo visited a U.S. naval base at Souda Bay on the southern Greek island of Crete Tuesday, ahead of a meeting with Greece's prime minister on the second day of his trip to the country. (Aris Messinis/Pool viaAP)
September 29, 2020 - 8:53 am
ATHENS, Greece (AP) — U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo expressed support Tuesday for talks between Greece and Turkey, NATO allies whose relations deteriorated to the point where both had warships facing off in the Mediterranean Sea. Speaking from the Souda Bay military base on the Greek island...
Read More
This image taken from a video released by Armenian Defense Ministry on Monday, Sept. 28, 2020 allegedly shows fighting between Armenian and Azerbaijani forces at the contact line of the self-proclaimed Republic of Nagorno-Karabakh, Azerbaijan. Armenian and Azerbaijani forces fought over the separatist region of Nagorno-Karabakh for a second day Monday, with both sides blaming each other for resuming the attacks that reportedly killed and wounded dozens as the decades-old conflict has reignited.(Armenian Defense Ministry via AP)
September 29, 2020 - 8:21 am
YEREVAN, Armenia (AP) — Armenian and Azerbaijani forces accused each other of attacks on their territory Tuesday, as fighting over the separatist region of Nagorno-Karabakh continued for a third straight day following the reigniting of a decades-old conflict. Azerbaijan's Defense Ministry said...
Read More
President Donald Trump speaks about coronavirus testing during an event in the Rose Garden of the White House, Monday, Sept. 28, 2020, in Washington. (AP Photo/Evan Vucci)
September 29, 2020 - 12:54 am
WASHINGTON (AP) — Revelations that President Donald Trump is personally liable for more than $400 million in debt are casting a shadow that ethics experts say raises national security concerns he could be manipulated to sway U.S. policy by organizations or individuals he’s indebted to. New scrutiny...
Read More
In this image taken from footage released by Azerbaijan's Defense Ministry on Sunday, Sept. 27, 2020, an Azerbaijan's rocket launches from missile system at the contact line of the self-proclaimed Republic of Nagorno-Karabakh, Azerbaijan. Fighting between Armenian and Azerbaijani forces over the disputed separatist region of Nagorno-Karabakh continued on Monday morning after erupting the day before, with both sides blaming each other for resuming the attacks. (Azerbaijan's Defense Ministry via AP)
September 28, 2020 - 10:14 pm
YEREVAN, Armenia (AP) — Armenian and Azerbaijani forces fought over the separatist region of Nagorno-Karabakh for a second day Monday, with both sides blaming each other for resuming the attacks that reportedly killed and wounded dozens as the decades-old conflict has reignited. The Azerbaijani...
Read More
President Donald Trump speaks about coronavirus testing during an event in the Rose Garden of the White House, Monday, Sept. 28, 2020, in Washington. (AP Photo/Evan Vucci)
September 28, 2020 - 6:05 pm
WASHINGTON (AP) — Revelations that President Donald Trump is personally liable for more than $400 million in debt are casting a shadow over his presidency that ethics experts say raises national security concerns he could be manipulated to sway U.S. policy by organizations or individuals he’s...
Read More
FILE - This Feb. 25, 2020, file photo, shows the icon for TikTok in New York. TikTok asked a judge to block the Trump Administration’s attempt to ban its app, suggesting the Chinese-owned app’s deal with Oracle and Walmart remains unsettled. An app-store ban, delayed once by the government, is set to go into effect Sunday, Sept. 27, 2020. (AP Photo/File)
September 28, 2020 - 5:04 pm
A federal judge on Sunday postponed a Trump administration order that would have banned the popular video sharing app TikTok from U.S. smartphone app stores. A more comprehensive ban remains scheduled for November, about a week after the presidential election. But the judge, Carl Nichols of the U.S...
Read More
Staff Sergeant Ryan Graves talks about the death of his fellow solider, Staff Sergeant Jason Lowe, during an interview on Wednesday, Aug. 26, 2020, on Fort Bragg, N.C. Days before taking his own life, Lowe graduated second in his class in the Army's Advanced Leader Course. Graves told The Associated Press Lowe "Wanted to be the best. He probably was one of the best." (AP Photo/Sarah Blake Morgan)
September 28, 2020 - 10:20 am
FORT BRAGG, N.C. (AP) — If there were any signs that Staff Sgt. Jason Lowe was struggling, the soldiers he served alongside didn’t see them. The 27-year-old paratrooper was a top performer. He was on the Commandant’s List and had just finished second in his class in the Army’s Advanced Leader...
Read More
FILE - In this Monday, Nov. 8, 2010 file photo, a container with nuclear waste is loaded from a train onto a a truck in Dannenberg, near Gorleben, northern Germany. Germany has launched a new search for a site to store its most radioactive nuclear waste, eliminating the disputed site at a former salt mine in Gorleben, that was earmarked decades ago and has long been a focus of protests.(AP Photo/Michael Probst)
September 28, 2020 - 6:25 am
BERLIN (AP) — Germany has launched a new search for a site to store its most radioactive nuclear waste, eliminating a disputed site at a former salt mine that was earmarked decades ago and has long been a focus of protests. A report issued Monday by Germany's waste management organization, or BGE,...
Read More

Pages